An awning is a piece of fabric that is fixed on the exterior part of the wall of a building using a metal structure. The covering, which stretches out above a window, door or above a sidewalk, serves the purpose of keeping off rain or the sun. While awnings are commonly used outside restaurants and other eateries to increase the seating capacity, they can also be used at home. At home, they can be used during parties or to provide an open area to relax. Awnings are available in different colors, sizes and fabric.
Facts about awnings
Some of the facts about awnings may be unknown to many people. Most of these facts also double up as benefits of using the coverings.
- Awnings control the amount of sunlight that enters the building through the windows and doors. In this way, they considerably reduce the amount of energy that would otherwise be required to cool the home. In fact, studies show that the energy can be reduced by more that 20 percent, ultimately bringing down electric bills.
- Awnings provide an expanded outdoor area for recreation. The favorable temperature under the cover will give the area a relaxing ambiance making it conducive for unwinding. This can be used as an entertainment area for guests.
- When properly fixed with an attractive design, awnings will greatly improve the appearance of the area. The extension can actually give the home a facelift, helping a home owner to achieve their goal of improving the home environment.
- The extensions will maintain the initial brightness of the room while at the same time guard surfaces in the interior from direct sunlight. Furniture, floors and carpets will fade when exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period of time. Awnings will effectively prevent such fading.
- The latest advancements in the manufacture of awnings have resulted in retractable covers that are fitted with weather sensors. They will stretch out on hot days and fold back during storms that could cause damage to them.
- Awnings reduce glare from windows but maintain the view that one may want to enjoy from their sitting position.
- The coverings can be used to hide unsightly areas on the outside of the exterior wall. Areas that have not undergone repairs or areas that have patches can have awnings placed over them to fortify the appearance of the home.
- Lastly, due to the numerous benefits that come with fixing an awning, the structure actually increases the value of the home. This is as a direct result of the costs saved on energy as earlier stated.
Awnings are an amazing way to improve the home environment. They serve the twin purposes of enhancing comfort and projecting a positive image of the home owner, as evidenced by the facts about awnings.