Benefits of Retractable Awnings over Fixed Awnings
Both retractable and fixed awnings add beauty to the home, increase the amount of usable outdoor living space during periods of hot weather or precipitation, and can be customized to express the owner’s creativity. By filtering the amount of incoming light, awnings reduce the fading of furniture, carpeting, and draperies. They also limit heat impact on the home HVAC system: heat gain in the home can be reduced by as much as 65% for a southern exposure, or as much as 77% for a western exposure, and also reduce heat and water damage to deck, patio, pool deck, and balcony surfaces. While both retractable and fixed awnings both provide these benefits, there are drawbacks to fixed awnings that make retractable awnings a better choice for some people.
- They are installed as a permanent addition at the home, are not meant to be regularly taken down or even folded out of the way if necessary; they must stay in place once installation is complete
- Provide robust protection of home and outdoor living space from sun, rain, and snow, or even sleet or hail. However, they can be damaged in bad weather because they must be left in place
- Require minimal maintenance once in place because there are no moving parts. Structures last for decades, depending on construction. However, over time, because they are continuously exposed to sun and elements, they show age, wear, and tear much quicker
- They will continue to block light and heat into the home and outdoor living spaces on cool, cloudy, or rainy days
So Why Choose a Retractable Awning Over a Fixed Awning? Let’s Compare:
- They can be more expensive, but can be deployed or retracted as desired, depending on the weather conditions or plans for outdoor space usage.
- Will protect your home and outdoor living space from sun and light precipitation only when deployed. They can be retracted and secured if bad weather (storms, high wind, snow, sleet) is approaching to keep them from being damaged.
- You can expect them to last from 5-10 years before replacement need be considered, depending upon the degree of mechanization. However, regular maintenance can extend awning life, and because they are retracted when not in use, retractable awnings stay in premium condition much longer than fixed awnings do, and experience less stretching, bowing, or fading.
- They can be taken down on cool or cloudy days to allow the maximum amount of light and heat to enter the home and outdoor living spaces. This way, the owner is in full control of his or her environment.
And if you have any other questions about awnings, or are interested in retractable awnings installation, do not hesitate to contact the professionals at Weather Armor Awnings, in Lewis Center, Ohio.