Awnings add a nice touch to your doorway and windows. They are functional as well as decorative. Available in a range of styles, colors and materials, these awnings provide shade, and can easily complement the outside of your shop or home, making it look even more appealing. That’s precisely why you will find awnings almost everywhere these days.
But of course, you will need to take good care of your awning. It’s not good if there’s a crack on your metal awning, or if your canvas awning is looking dirty. Your awning won’t look good, and it will almost surely make your shop or home look less attractive. But more importantly, the awning won’t serve its purpose. Parts could even come off and cause an injury, particularly if you have a metal awning.
It’s really essential that you maintain your awning properly. Regular care and maintenance will make your awning looking new. It will work properly for a long time.
The Importance of Awning Maintenance
Awning maintenance begins with looking for signs of damage. Look for bent frames, rusting and dents if you are using a metal awning. Check after dusty weather. Also, do schedule an annual cleaning always. You can use a water solution and mild soap for this. But remember to use just lukewarm or cold water for the cleaning. Get rid of any debris that might be there while you are cleaning. There could be insect nests, leaves and twigs.
- There could be stains on your awning from bird droppings. Treat them as soon as you can because it will be easier to remove the stains if you are cleaning right away.
- Use a broom or stiff brush to remove dirt buildup.
- Remove the awning in the winter if you can, particularly if it snows in your area.
- Clean it thoroughly before storing. There could be mildew growth if there is any dirt on it.
- Awning maintenance isn’t really difficult. You should be able to do it easily.